At Sherwin O’Riordan we understand that in the course of our lifetime we will all require medical care.
The consequences of suffering a medical accident as a result of negligence on the part of a medical professional are not only extremely stressful and emotional but they can also have significant financial implications for you and your family. We provide legal advice to our clients with commitment and sensitivity.
- Birth Injuries
- Orthopaedic and Spinal Injuries
- Misdiagnosis Claims
- Oncology Claims
- Cosmetic Surgery Claims
- Gynaecological & Obstetric Claims
- General Medical/Surgery Claims
- GP/Dental Claims
- Accident & Emergency Claims
- Claims on Behalf of Children
Medical Negligence Lawyers* Dublin
The consequences of suffering a medical accident as a result of a medical professional’s negligence are not only extremely stressful and emotionally challenging but also may result in significant financial implications for you and your family. Legal advice is available.
Standard of care
Although medical professionals work in a pressurised environment and make difficult decisions, a legal framework has developed to determine whether those decisions and the level of care provided to a patient falls below what is acceptable. It’s completely reasonable for patients to have faith in the skills of the medical practitioners who are treating them. A medical professional must not take excessive risks or depart from what is considered at the time to be the general approved practice used by the majority of professionals in a given field. This standard applies to treatment and diagnosis. In managing medical care, professionals are permitted to take steps outside of approved practices but they must not take steps that are unreasonable in the circumstances.
Where a patient has undergone medical treatment or a surgical procedure, which has either failed to cure the problem or has even made that problem worse, there may have been negligence in some aspect of their treatment and/or diagnosis. In severe cases, this breach of the standard of care could result in the patient having to undergo further surgery or suffer treatment with serious side effects or even disability. Under these circumstances, legal action may be taken. Quite often these claims involve a forensic investigation of the hospital records, techniques and best practices and include in-depth consultations with specially selected medical and legal experts within the field in question. Sherwin O’Riordan can manage this process.
Nobody expects to go in for treatment, whether it be for a serious or minor illness or condition, only to find themselves in a worse situation. Consulting with specialist solicitors with significant expertise in this field will give peace of mind that a legal action will be dealt with in a conscientious and decisive way.
- We successfully advised Thomas Hill in his negligence claim against the HSE for significant disability caused by the accidental tear of his ureter while removing a kidney stone in 1998. Our client was awarded €701,000, which included over €400,000 for lost earning to date and in the future, in addition to €250,000 general damages. View more details.
- Represented the Plaintiff in a complex medical negligence action; Thomas Hill-v- Health Service Executive  IEHC 746. The Plaintiff was successful in his negligence claim against the HSE for significant disability caused by the accidental tear of his ureter while removing a kidney stone in 1998 and was awarded €701,000. This included over €400,000 for lost earning to date and in the future, in addition to €250,000 general damages.
Contact our Experienced Medical Negligence Solicitors*
Legal advice is available. Contact Sherwin O’Riordan on +353 1 663 2000 for a detailed appraisal of your circumstances.